Education is the learning of knowledge or skills and habits of a group of people that are passed down from one generation to the next through teaching, training or research results. Education often occurs under the guidance of others but can occur self-taught.
Education occurs from some people, the experience of everyday life is more meaningful than formal education.the time the baby is born until the end of life, but it can start before the baby is born as many people do by playing music and reading readings to the baby in the hope that the baby can hear it.
In the opinion of family members have an important role in teaching, even though the teaching of family members is informal.
There are several educational functions:
- Prepare community members to earn a living.
- Develop individual talents for personal satisfaction and for the benefit of society.
- Preserving culture.
Other functions of educational institutions are as follows :
- Reduce parental control. Through education, school parents delegate their duties and authority in educating children to schools.
- Provide the means for disobedience. Schools have the potential to instill the value of dissent in society. This is reflected in the differences in views between schools and the community about something, such as sex education and openness.
- Maintaining the social class system. School education is expected to be able to socialize to its students to accept the differences in prestige, privilege, and status that exist in society. Schools are also expected to be a channel for student mobility to a higher social status or at least according to the status of their parents.
- Prolongs adolescence. School education can also slow down a person’s adulthood because students are still economically dependent on their parents.
The purpose of education is to educate the nation’s life and develop complete human beings, namely those who believe and fear God Almighty and have noble character, have knowledge and skills, physical and spiritual health, a strong and independent personality and a sense of national social responsibility.