After a long day of school, the last thing kids want is another plate of vegetables. That’s why we’ve compiled a list of our favorite after-school snacks that are both kid-friendly and healthy! From apples and peanut butter to yogurt and granola bars, these snacks will help keep your kids energized until dinner time. So next time you’re at a loss for what to make after school, be sure to check out our list for some inspiration!
After-School Snacks for Daycares
Whether you run an in-home daycare or a large child care facility, it’s important to provide an after-school snack for your kiddos. Not only is it a great way to tide them over until dinner, but it’s also an opportunity for them to socialize and bond with their classmates. When choosing after-school snacks for your daycare, be sure to consider the following:
- Allergies: Be sure to ask parents about any allergies their children may have before sending snacks to school. The last thing you want is for a child to have a reaction to something they’re eating!
- Age group: Toddlers and preschoolers will likely need something different than elementary school students. Choose after-school snacks that are developmentally appropriate for your kids.
- Nutrition: Just because it’s a snack doesn’t mean it can’t be nutritious! Look for snacks that are high in protein and fiber to help keep your kids full until dinner.
With these guidelines in mind, here are some of our favorite after-school snacks for daycares:
– Apples and peanut butter
– Yogurt with fruit
– Granola bars
– String cheese
– Fruit cups
– Graham crackers
– Animal crackers
– Rice cakes
After School Snacks for Babysitters and Parents
If you don’t run a child care facility but are looking to have some on-demand after-school snacks for your kiddos, it’s important to keep a few things in mind. What are their tastes? What do they like and dislike? And how can you balance yummy snacks with healthy snacks? Luckily, if you aren’t running a childcare facility, you can be more creative and specific with the snack options you choose to feed your kids. Here are some of our favorite snacks to keep on hand for parents or Babysitters to give to kids after school:
- Cheese and crackers with a hard-boiled egg and fruit spread
- Cucumbers with Italian dressing and salt drizzled
- Banana with Nutella and peanut butter
- Rice cakes with peanut butter
- Carrots with Tahini or Ranch dressing and pretzels
- Yogurt with sliced fruit (strawberries, blueberries, grapes, pineapple, etc.)
- Baked ham & cheese rolls
- Beef or Turkey jerky
- Trail Mix with fruit and chocolate mixed in
Why are After-School Snacks Important?
We know that after-school snacks are delicious and can sometimes be a lifesaver for parents, but do you know why after-school snacks are actually important? According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, after-school snacks help kids refuel after a long day of learning. They also provide essential nutrients like protein, fiber, and vitamins that children need to grow and develop. If you’re too busy to put together after-school snacks but still want your kids to have high-quality food, you could always consider using Tandem to find a meal planner to organize the snacks for you!
So next time you’re looking for a snack to give your kids after school, be sure to choose something that is both kid-friendly and nutritious! And if you need some inspiration, be sure to check out our list of favorite after-school snacks. Happy snacking!